History of the Alumni Association
The first attempt to form the Alumni Association was made in 1991 when the first Principal of the College, Late Dr. Umaru Sanda Ahmadu died on the 1st January 1991, and a special prayer was organized for him by the old students of the College. They came together and started something which fizzled out after sometime.
The second attempt was made in 1991 when certain Alumnus came from Lagos, whose name is Raphael Oladele and encouraged the old students to come together to form an Alumni Association. Members were all in support and they embarked on a sensitization campaign which culminated into a formal inauguration of the Association on the 27th November, 1991, by the then Governor of Niger State, Engineer Abdulkadir A. Kure.
The steering committee was equally inaugurated on the same day with Hajiya Hauwa Mohammed as the Chairman. The first project embarked upon was an attempt to build a Nursery School in honour of the late first Principal of the College Dr. Umaru Sanda Ahmadu and named the school after him. A foundation laying ceremony was performed on the same day by the late former Secretary to the State Government, (SSG) Alhaji Dahiru Awaisu Kuta, who represented the Governor. We embarked on a massive sensitization programme which later led to a dead end.
The Association was resuscitated by Late Professor Ibrahim Adamu Kolo when he arrived as the Provost of the College. Late Professor Ibrahim Kolo played a big role in enhancing the activities of the Alumni as soon as he arrived as the Provost of the College. He inaugurated the Alumni committee comprising of members of the Alumni who were lecturers at the College in February 2002. The members were as follows:
- Alhaji Abubakar Kawu Hassan
- Mrs Victoria Jiya’
- Mrs Amina Chado
- Hajiya Hauwa Muhammed Lemu
The Committee swung into action and embarked on massive outreach to Alumni members both within and outside the State, which culminated into a General Meeting and election of officials into various executive positions.
- Establishment of Alumni Center in the College and appointing an Alumni Desk Officer
- Registration of Niger State College of Education Alumni Association with Corporate Affairs Commission.
- Creating a network of Alumni across the country and beyond.
- Creating a website for the dissemination of information.
- Reviewing the Alumni directory.
- Identifying viable project in the College for execution
- Adhering to the guidelines of the constitution for better service delivery.